Becoming a makeup artist instructor requires different qualifications and experience from state to state. Some states require a license in cosmetology, some require experience in the makeup industry and some require both. Before writing your makeup artist instructor resume, you should first confirm the law and requirements to become a cosmetology instructor in your state. Whether it is required or not, having some practical experience will definitely help you get a better makeup instructor job.
Tips on Writing a Good Makeup Instructor Resume
- If you want to be a makeup instructor, you should have very good communication and leadership skills. As a make instructor, your knowledge in cosmetology is not enough, you’ll need to perform your skills in front of a group of students. So, add these skills in your resume.
- Fluency in multiple languages will be a plus point.
- Having some skills in hairstyling & barbering will add value to your resume.
- As a makeup instructor, you’ll have to make a curriculum, plan lessons, keep records, and identify students’ strengths and weaknesses.
- Therefore, you should highlight your management and multitasking skills in the resume.
An Example of Makeup Artist Instructor Resume
XX Martin Road, Manchester, New Hampshire 77777
(000) 004-0000, email@example.com
To share my experience and knowledge in the makeup industry and build-up a career in shaping future makeup artists.
- Great expertise in makeup and color composition.
- Skillful with application of makeup on different types of faces, eyes, and skin colors.
- Have skills with various makeup types including bridal, theatrical, and fashion makeup.
- Basic skills on hairstyling.
- Good knowledge of advantages and disadvantages of cosmetics like eyeliner, lipstick, blush, powder, lip stain, etc.
- Fluent in English and French.
- Very good communication skills and a good teammate.
- Hard working and excellent with time management.
Hair and Makeup Artist
XYZ Theatre, Broadway, New Hampshire
2010 – Present
- Read the scripts to understand the characters.
- Communicated with director to finalize the looks.
- Applied makeup on artists.
- Styled hair and use wigs where applicable.
- Removed makeup after the stage show.
Juliet’s Beauty Salon, Running Lane, New Hampshire
2006 – 2010
- Applied makeup on models for fashion shows and magazines.
- Makeup for special occasions like weddings, proms, dates, funeral, etc.
- Assisted hairstylist.
- Sold cosmetics to clients.
- Gave tips to clients on removing makeup safely.
Bridal Makeup Artist
Jessica’s Bridal Salon, Side Lane, New Hampshire
2005 – 2006
- Makeup for bride and bridesmaid.
- Makeup for themed wedding.
- Removed makeup.
- Makeup trial for bride.
- Sitting with bride to understand her expectation.
Bachelor’s Degree in Cosmetology
Harvard University, Massachusetts (2003 – 2005)